Thursday, March 15, 2012


There are a lot of images of Malintzin. I chose this image because I think it best represents Towsend’s depiction of her in the book Malintzin’s Choices. In the book Malintzin is portrayed as a strong woman who was heavily involved in the translations of negotiations between Cortes and the natives. She also had to make several important decisions that ultimately saved her life.
In this image we see Malintzin or Doña Marina is bigger than the Spanish and the natives, which I think represents her importance. Her body position and the speaking glyph show she is speaking and working on behalf of the Spanish. She is dressed nicely which Townsend states shows she is rich and goddess like.
I think Towsend would think this image is an accurate portrayal of Malintzin because it clearly shows Malintzin as the center of attention and more important than Cortes because he is not even distinguishable from the rest of the Spanish.  This picture represents a passage from Towsend’s book perfectly, it states “She carried a heavy burden, in the imagery of her people. For she knew that whatever the great lord Moctezuma was to say to the strangers in that first encounter, and they to him, would have to pass through her.” ( Towsend pg. 84).

No comments:

Post a Comment