If I were the owner of a book store/librarian and had to categorize Malintzin’s Choices I
would categorize it first as non-fiction. Though Townsend does a good
bit of theorizing, speculating, and asserting, it is all in the context
of non-fiction. She tries to create her own portrait of Malintzin with
historical, cultural, and anthropological evidence. She is careful to
make a distinction between the facts and the unknown. Because it is
impossible to know all the aspects of who exactly Malintzin was,
Townsend does her best to discuss Malitntzin’s life, background, and
cultural context. While it is a book about many things, one of them is
who might Malintzin have been.
I would also categorize it under Mesoamerican History. Malintzin’s Choices is
not a biography in its purest sense but rather, Malintzin is the main
character in this story about life in Mesoamerica and the Conquest of
the Latin America. We can only look at Malintzin through the lense of
what we know about the culture and history of the people and events of
that place and time.
This
is a book about many things. It’s about indigenous life in Mesoamerica
before and after the conquest. It is about the Spanish conquest of
Latin America. It is the capture of Moctezuma and Tenochtitlan. But I
think Townsend’s intent is to write a book about Malintzin in the
context of and through the lense of indigenous life in Mesoamerica
before and after the conquest, the capture of Moctezuma and
Tenochtitlan, and the Spanish conquest of Latin America.
No comments:
Post a Comment