Sunday, March 25, 2012
many labels for Malintzin's Choices
Firstly, I wanted to list what Townsend's book, Malintzin's Choices is not. Because of it's title, one can assume that this is a biography about an Indian women. However, due to the limited information about Malintzin as well as the other contextual information in the book, I would not label the book a biography. Townsend even states throughout her book that there is in fact very limited information (such as no writing accounts by Malintzin). Townsend used her skills as a historian to research as much as possible through primary and secondary sources.
Although Townsend does emphasize the importance of Malintzin because of her linguistic skills, I would not blanket the purpose of writing the monograph because of language. Townsend's book is a non-fictional monograph that deals with many topics. I believe she used Malintzin's story to transcribe many other stories and tell the "tale" about the Spanish Conquest from different angles. To label the book, it would have to be labeled similar to "A monograph that traces the story of a linguistically adept woman while she deals with the politics and different cultures of the Spanish Conquest".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment