If I had to categorize Malintzin’s Choices by Camilla Townsend, I would classify it as nonfiction, because Townsend is trying to explain the best way she can the story of Malinztin and at the same time debunk all the myths about her. I would then list this book under Mesoamerica with sub categories as Mexico and Latin America because this book describes what I think is the foundation for post conquest Mexico and Latin America. Townsend details the steps the Spanish took during their conquest and how Malintzin affected each of these steps. She also provides an insight into life of not only the natives but women natives, during the time period of conquest.
This book is definitely not a biography because not too much is actually known about Malintzin so I think it is mostly a historical and anthropological book. I feel this is historical because Townsend tries to explain the role of Malintzin during the Spanish conquest and how the natives would have reacted to her and the Spanish but I also think it is anthropological too because not much information can be found on just Malintzin so Townsend has to use information about typical native women to come to her conclusions about Malintzin and try to explain why she did what she did. Which leads me to think this book can also be considered a book on native culture and on women since Townsend had to use the details of their culture and the women’s’ role in this culture to try to explain the reasoning behind Malintzin’s choices.
No comments:
Post a Comment