Since Malinche is known by many different names, certain depictions of her may be labeled under these different names. This depiction of Malinche was found under the search name "Dona Marina". Before I go into analyzing the depiction, I first wanted to go into the details on the picture itself. Like many google images, this depiction did not have a description attached to it, which allows me to critically analyze it from my own thoughts and knowledge yeilded from the readings and classes. When first observing the image, one can see many figures. In the forefront, there are three main figures who appear to be of some importance; two males, and one female. There is also what appears to be a building. Splitting the image, there is a line down the middle. Taking a historical analysis approach, I can assume that the woman in the picture is Malinche, the man to the right in the armor is Cortez and the man to the left is Moctezuma. Cortez is holding a rosary with hands outreached speaking through Malinche, the translator. Moctezuma's hands are out offering what appears to be some sort of gold and jade necklace (which we know from the reading is one of the things that was given to Cortez). The building in the background might be the depiction of Moctezuma's great kingdom which is surrounded by his people. There is a figure to Moctezuma's right that also has his hand outstretched, but rather than in welcoming motion, it is a hand of resistance. Also behind Cortez is a large figure of a man of spanish decent wearing a crown. I believe this is supposed to be the King looking over Cortez in approval. I believe that the line that splits the image is the physical metaphor for the separation of cultures. Since Malinche is on the side of Cortez, this shows that she was not considered an indigenous woman, but of a woman of Spain. Near the mouths of Malinche and Moctezuma are speech "wisps" which allows the observer to assume that they are speaking to one another. Since we know that Malinche was Cortez's translator, I found it odd that there was not a speak wisp near Cortez's mouth. I believe this shows much importance on Malinche's role. It appears that Malinche was speaking on her own and she had alreadt known what to say before Cortez even said it.
I believe that Townsend would approve of this image of Malinche because it depicts her in a positive light. It shows her intelligence and her wit. Malinche was not in the background of the Spanish Conquest, but rather she was in the front of it with Cortez which is what Townsend is also trying to depict in her monograph.
No comments:
Post a Comment