Friday, March 23, 2012

Categories

I would categorize the book Malintzin’s Choices as non-fiction. It was a tough decision because so much of the information in this book is just prediction. To me this book is an educated guess but it does have good evidences. I agree with Townsend’s idea that this book is a “kind of book provide full details on every aspect of Malinche’s context and places her actions in their proper setting” (5). Therefore, I cannot put this book in the fiction category. Most history books have some debatable information and although this book has a lot of debatable information I still feel that it should not be categorize under fiction.

I would categorize this book under history but not under biography. This book tells us many historical events from the conquistador rise to power to the events after the defeat of Aztec. Therefore, I think that this book should be categorized in the history department. A biography should have more information on Malintzin such as her life before she was taken and how she felt during those days with the Conquistador. I agree with Townsend that there is just not enough information to write a biography “the woman left us no diaries or letters” (5).

I would put this book in the anthropology and linguistic department. Most of the evidence in this book seems to come from anthropology. Townsend make educated guess on what Malintzin life would be like by looking at other people who were in her position. Therefore I would categorize this under anthropology. I would also categorize this under linguistic because the reason we are learning about her is because of her role as a translators. Also Townsend talks a lot about how Malintzin choose to translate for the Conquistador. It makes sense to me that this should be under the linguistic category.

No comments:

Post a Comment