I would categorize this book as a historical book about Mesoamerica because of the evidence given in the book. Although there is not a lot of evidence specifically on Malintzin, what we do know shows clear indication that Malintzin did exist and her role as indigenous translator was very important. Cortes did mention her in his letters to the king, but did not give big explanation as her role in the Spanish conquest. Townsend did mention different choices Malintzin had during the conquest and her ability to be a translator. I consider Malintzin had the biggest impact in Mesoamerica because of her position as the translator between the Moctezuma and Cortes. As Cortes and Malintzin traveled within Mesoamerica, her influence and knowledge about the conquest expanded. Although, Townsend may not be able to explain all the reasons to the choices given in the book, it gives good evidence of the indigenous lifestyle and role in their community. Townsend did a good job at explaining how Christianity influenced the indigenous and the city of Tenochtitlan.
I believe this book was not only about a woman, but about the Spanish Conquest. Although, the book mainly talks about Malinzin’s choices of becoming a translator, it also discusses the Spanish influences on the Mayans and Aztecs. I think Townsend does focus on Malintzin, but also discusses Malintzin’s children and their influence in Spain and in Mesoamerica. Malintzin had a son named, Don Martin and a daughter named Dona Maria. Townsend did a good job explaining how Malintzin influenced their lives even after she passed away. I also think this book did a good job explaining the Native American culture. In the beginning of the book, Townsend described the importance of the indigenous women and how Maltinztin got possibly sold into slavery, which is how she came across Cortes. There are many possible choices Malintzin had during the 1500s, but the evidence shows how all these categories fit right in.
No comments:
Post a Comment