Sunday, April 22, 2012

wk14-post

In light of what I have read in Stern’s book, I get the feeling that the Spanish had knowledge of the value of the inquired power over the native Indians. But in that same notion, both religiously and politically, I think the Indians would realize the necessity of the invading Spanish as well, and feed off of what they were being taught and were reliant of them. Once the culture is lost or changed, and mass population is wiped out by either battle or disease, there is a loss of identity in the Andean culture that would rival other conquests by the Spanish. With that loss, comes a need to conform to something new, its prevalent in this book as well as the others that we have read, that the Indians were defiant to that new ideology but in the end needed it.

Even in the case of Malinche, there were questions raised as to her motives for helping the Spanish as a translator, and did she have the option to make choices. The fact of the matter is. She needed the Spanish and Cortes way more than they needed her. I am positive that if the Spanish were determined to find another translator during their conquest of Mexico, they could have, but they found Malinche first and she turned out to be well qualified to handle the position. Her options were to gain wealth and prestige by being a helper to the ongoing conquest of her people and land.

No comments:

Post a Comment