Sunday, April 15, 2012
Random
Just like all of the books we have read so far the book main focus is “primarily on the first generation or two of pos-conquest history, we have not analyzed the additional impact of Africans and Mestizos”(xliii). I like that it explains what its main focus is. Although, I would love to read a book that explains the lives of Africans and Mestizos after the conquest. It would be pretty interesting to read a book about them.
I think Stern does a good job introducing the book and show how he will be attacking each topic. I think where he explains the part about the Mayans and the priest it was similar to the book we just finished, although to stern he believes that the rituals, human sacrifice did happen. It made me think of the assignment we have to do in class and how Mayans probably did commit human sacrifice. Some disagree or say it was not sacrifice, but they kept doing rituals.
Also, just like the Aztecs or the Mayans the Andeans had relationships with their Gods. The difference is the role the priest played because they “offered and controlled essential management serviced needed by households or ayllus”(17).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hello, the title of your post caught my attention and I thought to maybe perhaps elaborate a little on your question of what happened to the Mestizos and Africans after the conquest. Firstly, remember that those of mixed race (the Mestizos) were looked down upon by pure blooded Spaniards. The Spanish developed a system of castes that deigned importance to those of specific castes. As time went on, these Mestizos would go on to fight for a chance to gain more opportunities and rights. This is seen throughout many Latin American countries where mestizos soon outnumbered the "white" nobles. The Africans would too survive through the Spanish caste system and their descendants still live in Mexico today. This information is mostly out from the top of my head, but I agree that finding a book or a source of knowledge over this topic would be very fascinating.
ReplyDelete