Sunday, April 22, 2012
Similarly to what Kevin wrote this week, I find it very interesting that the Spanish took very similar routes in terms of distributing power in the 16th century. I am also taking Professor Karush' Modern Latin American History class and in this course he explained that in the 19th century the Elite Spanish would distribute land and power to Spanish men that lived over in the Americas. These men would have power, but with this power came a lot of responsibility. This is very similar to what Stern was saying when he explains that Pizzaro would distribute encomiendas to his conquistador allies, encomenderos. This leads me to the thought that conquistadores learned a lot from past conquests and they would use certain tactics over again. Although this may seem obvious to most, I find it a little humorous because Professor Bristol was explaining in class that Professor Karush expressed that the colonization of Latin America is irrelevant when learning about the Modernization of Latin America. As we can see, that is not entirely true because of the similarities found between these two eras.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment