Saturday, April 28, 2012

Repost Week 9

I believe that Malintzin’s Choices is a cross between a historical text and a biography. This belief is due to the historical nature of the text and that Camilla Townsend not only focuses on Malintzin’s life but the time before and after her life. While I believe that Townsend overstepped herself when she assumed what feelings that Malintzin “must” have had. The book reads like a biography with additional background in the time before and after her life, with some of the information throughout the book reading like a dry history text.
I believe Malintzin’s Choices is a non-fiction book. The book is based on facts and real events, and is also comprised of mostly logical and historically possible events. While there are aspects of the book that are highly questionable (the emotion thing) this does not take away from a reasonable interpretation of the possible events of Malintzin’s life. This makes it like most early history books which rely more on conjecture and inferred facts than written information which is generally biased. I believe this buts it firmly in the realm of non-fiction.
I believe that this book is about Malintzin’s life , its causes, and its results, as they are seen by Camilla Townsend. I believe that this book was written to help convey this view to others who might be open to the idea. The book is obviously focused on one idea and though I do not agree with the way Townsend writes it is not a fiction novel. I believe that this book is a non-fiction historically flavored biography about the life and times surrounding the life of Malintzin.

No comments:

Post a Comment