Although
we have come to know the Spanish invasion of Mesoamerican and the Andes as the
Spanish Conquest, it is my belief that the word "conquest" is
inappropriate. On our first day of class
we began by defining the word conquest using phases such as, "the
religious overtaking of another civilization," and "forced imposition
of culture." We used words such as
violence and force to describe conquest in practice. When we review Merriam-Webster's Dictionary,
we see that the word conquest leads us to the word conquer, which is defined
first as "to gain or acquire by force of arms." In addition, a
portion of Webster's definition is as follows, "to gain mastery
over." I believe this element of the definition of conquest makes its use
in this case problematic. There is a
time implication to "gaining mastery," thus an end. Restall discusses a "myth of completion"
in chapter four of his book, Seven Myths
of the Spanish Conquest.
Throughout chapter four Restall
provides evidence that suggests the Spanish Conquest "remained incomplete
for centuries after...initial...invasions" (65). Out of the seven "dimension[s] of incompleteness"
(71) that Restall presents, I believe dimensions four and five are the most
convincing. In his fourth dimension of
incompleteness he tells us of continued "patterns of resistance"
(73). The fifth dimension of incompleteness
is "the degree to which native peoples maintained a degree of autonomy
within the Spanish empire" (73).
Restall tells us that in many native towns there continued to be
autonomy and as long as they "existed, the Conquest could never
complete" (74). Evidence of continued
native resistance and long periods of native autonomy in some towns suggests an
incomplete conquest. I believe this
incompleteness makes the use of the word "conquest" incorrect;
Restall appears quiet on this point. I
am not sure if one word or phrase can aptly describe the events known as the
Spanish Conquest.
I agree with you in that conquest was not the right word for all of what happened. Though I am leaning towards thinking that "conquest" is appropriate for some of what happened. The Spanish did indeed "gain[ed] or acquire[d] by force of arms" some parts of Latin America. Some parts remained unconquered and then also the conquest was not complete (by the fact that some indigenous traditions still live on today).
ReplyDelete