Sunday, January 29, 2012

Questions on Blindness


It should not have been, but what was amazing to me is how selfish and blind these men were. They were all swooning with desire over stories of El Dorado and other fantastic treasures, but when it came to honesty and truth, they were NOT. I think that is what shocked me the most; not the conquistadors’ struggles with finding unlimited wealth in precious metals (some which gave them a decent amount of wealth), but was their willingness to lie and cover the truth. Pizarro distrusted and hunted down one of his men when he did not come back from a trek down the Amazon, completely unwilling to believe the truth that the physical landscape did not allow his man to return. 

The Spanish conquistadors were blind to giving credit to where it was deserved. Only a low majority of Spaniards, compared to blacks and Native Indians, took part in the numerous conquest. This probably stemmed from the ethnocentrism that was beginning to form back in Spain. Why was this? Even though the men took on these ventures of their own will, why were they so blind to sharing the truth? 

One thing that I did find interesting is that Restall made no mention of the crusades. I know that activities in the West Indies, Yucatan, etc were a part of the Age of Discovery, but there were some strong similarities between the conquests here and those of the crusades. I wonder if the conquistadors themselves made any references in their writings?

No comments:

Post a Comment